Check out our contest page for more information.
Shift Local is always looking for an independent, locally-owned business (ILOB) to cash mob. Nominate your favorite ILOB and tell us why it is so special to your community. Email us at email@example.com.
Cash Mob FAQs:
What is a cash mob?
A cash mob is like a flash mob but instead of gathering together to dance, individuals gather to spend their cash! The general idea is to encourage people to go into independent and locally-owned businesses and “spend their money, en masse, to give the business owner a little bit of economic stimulus.” The result is we help businesses grow, we make people happy and we all have a great time. For more info, see cashmobs.
How much do I have to spend?
Traditionally, a cash mob asks people to spend at least $20 but we don’t want to turn folks away who can’t afford to do so. Come anyway, bring a friend (or two) and get them to buy for you haha! Kidding aside, don’t let the $20 traditional amount to discourage you from attending. As long as you’re shifting some of your spending at an independent and locally-owned business, you’re making a difference.
What are the rules at the mob?
Spend $20 (if you can, if not spend however much you want but bring cash if possible), meet three people you didn’t know before and HAVE FUN!
How else can I help?
Spread the word. Invite people to this event via facebook, twitter or just send personal emails. If you need materials to send out, we are in the process of creating a digital flyer that we can send to you or you can just point them to this blog.
How do you choose the business to cash mob?
We love it when businesses get nominated but ILOBS can contact us directly as well. We choose a business to cash mob based on their commitment to the pro-local movement community and/or supporting local charities, public schools etc. For example, the last ILOB we cash mobbed was Croll’s Pizza in Alameda which has been a big supporter of the buy local movement! Croll’s Pizza uses “all-natural and locally sourced” ingredients in their pizza and serve beer from local breweries.
Join the movement! RSVP on Facebook.
We have games and prizes for cash mobbers:
- Pin ball machines for cash mobbers to try out courtesy of Pacific Pin Ball Museum.
- Make a Poster! See details on Cash Mob at Croll’s Pizza Poster Contest.
- Other games and contests to be announced soon. Prizes include: 16 inch pizza from Croll’s Pizza and gift certificates from Home Maid Ravioli Co
Thank you for helping us spread the word:
- Alameda Community News Project: Cash Mob Craze Coming to Croll’s
- Alameda Patch: Cash Mob Alameda on May 20 and Cash Mob Alameda
- Inner City Advisors: Even though Croll’s is not an ICA busines, they promoted the event on their Facebook page anyway (See post on May 9)
- SF Gate: Cash mob craze backs buying local
- Cashmob.com: Alameda, California Cash Mob Notice